Cozy up in your favorite chair and enjoy this hearty nutrient-loaded soup. Before taking your first spoonful, take a mindful moment to smell the deep aromas and hint of paprika as the steam warms your face.
Makes about 8 servings
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1/2 large head cauliflower (or 1 small head), chopped into small florets
- 4 cups vegetable stock*
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 cups cooked (or canned) garbanzo beans (also called chickpeas)**
- 6 cups (packed) baby kale leaves
Add the olive oil, onion, garlic, carrot, celery, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to a large soup pot or Dutch oven and place over medium heat. Sauté until the vegetables are very tender.
Add the cauliflower, stock, wine, smoked paprika, and thyme sprigs, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer gently for about 20 minutes.
Add the garbanzos and kale, and stir through for about 5 minutes. Serve hot.
* Bon Appétit chefs use house-made stock in our kitchens. Home cooks may opt to use one 32-ounce carton high-quality vegetable broth or stock.
** Bon Appétit chefs use dried beans cooked in our kitchens. When using canned beans, rinse well to reduce sodium.